Exploring the Power of Self-Kindness to Protect, Provide for, and Motivate Yourself
An Online Workshop for Women Who Want to Take Better Care of Themselves
Presented by Imogen Ragone
Wednesday, August 17, 2022
11:00 AM – 12:30 PM US Eastern Time
(Find your time zone here)
Delivered Live on Zoom
Do you talk to or treat yourself in a way you would never treat others?
Do you have a hard time standing up for yourself or meeting your own needs and wants?
If so, you are certainly not alone.
As women we are great at looking after the needs of everyone else, but tend not to be so good at looking after ourselves – neither in our actions nor our self-talk.
And this lack of kindness towards ourselves takes a significant toll on our well-being.
Fortunately there is a simple antidote: Self-compassion.
The idea is simple, but putting it into practice is not so easy. After all, most of us have been practicing the opposite most of our lives.
It is well worth it though. A large and growing body of research shows that self-compassion enhances well-being in significant ways.
The benefits of practicing self-compassion include:
- Reduction in depression, anxiety, and stress.
- Increase in happiness and life satisfaction.
- Deactivation of our threat-detection system and activation of our care system, helping us to feel safe.
- Enhancement of our well-being by transforming negative states into positive ones.
- Help counteracting shame.
- Providing emotional resilience by helping us get through painful times without being knocked flat.
The good news is self-compassion is something you can actively practice and cultivate. It doesn’t matter if you don’t feel compassionate toward yourself – you can practice the behaviors and benefit anyway.
You can even learn how to harness the power of self-compassion to stand up for yourself and your own needs.
Self-compassion involves the whole of you, not just your mind. There are ways of being in and using your body that are both compassionate and empowering.
In this workshop you’ll learn more about self-compassion, its three key components as identified by self-compassion expert Kristin Neff, Ph.D., and how to access and distinguish between different types of self-compassion. This means you can be tender, caring and accepting with yourself AND access the strength of fierce self-compassion to protect, provide for and motivate yourself.
You’ll explore how these different aspects of self-compassion feel in your body, and learn simple techniques to access the power of self-compassion when you need it most.
“…in order to realize the full benefits of self-compassion, we need to develop both its fierce and tender side.”
Kristin Neff, Fierce Self-Compassion: How Women Can Harness Kindness to Speak Up, Claim Their Power, and Thrive
In the workshop you will:
- Learn the three key elements needed for true self-compassion (it’s not just kindness)
- Understand the difference between tender and fierce self-compassion, and why we need both.
- Use a breathing practice to work with and balance the different energies of self-compassion.
- Explore physical gestures of self-compassion, and how these can be used to empower yourself in different ways.
- Experience a powerful guided Constructive Rest to help you tap into your own empowered caring force.
- Interact live with Imogen and other participants to learn, discuss and explore in a supportive and safe online space.
After the workshop you will get:
- Access to the recording of the workshop for you to review and have as a resource.
- A copy of the slides and other resources to help you remember what you have learned.
The Empowered Self-Compassion Workshop will be helpful to anyone dealing with stress, overwhelm, burn out, or trauma, or who simply wants to be better able to empower themselves with kindness and compassion.
NOTE: This is a companion workshop to Imogen’s Embodying Self-Compassion Workshop. Both workshops are “free-standing” – that is, you don’t have to attend one to attend the other – but they complement each other.
This exploratory workshop is 1½ hours long and will take place online using Zoom.
Date: Wednesday, August 17, 2022
Time: 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM US Eastern Time (Find your time zone here)
There is a 3-tier cost structure to help the workshop be accessible to more people. Please choose the one that best suits your circumstances:
I am happy to pay more right now to help support those who cannot.
I am able to pay the basic workshop fee.
Reduced Rate: $25
I am economically challenged at the moment.
About Imogen Ragone
Hi! I’m Imogen. I have been a certified teacher of the Alexander Technique for over 15 years, and a student for over 20. I initially came to Alexander Technique for help with chronic neck and shoulder pain and tension. It helped a lot – and gave me so MUCH more than I ever imagined. I have now developed my own unique approach – BodyIntelligence – that offers a path to embodied mindfulness that is gentle and non-coercive. This means it is more accessible and effective when you are feeling stressed, and makes it especially valuable to traumatized people. I was born and raised in England, and have lived in the US now for over 30 years. I have been successfully working with clients online, both individually and in groups, since 2014. Self-compassion is an integral and important part of my work.